So you want to sell your house to avoid paying a 6% Realtor's commission.
Granted, some people are able to sell their own homes without the services of a real estate agent. Some of these successful do-it-yourselfers are very experienced home sellers. Others are transferring ownership of their home to a child, a coworker or a tenant who's already living in the home. These circumstances are the exception, not the norm, however. For most people, a for-sale-by-owner (FSBO) transaction simply isn't in the cards. Here are six reasons why.
1. FSBOs can't list their home in the MLS. FSBOs aren't permitted to put their home in the multiple listing service (MLS) because these industry membership organizations are open only to licensed real estate brokers and agents. FSBOs are also locked out of many home search engines and Web sites, including the gigantic Realtor.com. Sure, a determined FSBO can put a for-sale sign in his or her front yard and run a tiny advertisement in the local newspaper, but the home won't receive nearly as much exposure as it would through the MLS.
2. Agents won't show FSBO homes. In a typical home sale, the buyer's agent receives a percentage of the commission that the seller pays the listing agent. Without a listing agreement, there's no guarantee that the buyer's agent will be compensated for his or her services, unless the buyer has signed a buyer's brokerage agreement that specifically provides for such compensation. Even if a FSBO offers to pay the buyer's side of the commission, most agents won't want to go through a transaction with an unsophisticated self-represented seller across the table. That means the pool of potential buyers for FSBO homes is limited primarily to unrepresented and probably unqualified prospects. Moving?
3. FSBOs usually overprice their home. Like most homeowners, most FSBOs honestly believe their own home is worth more than comparable homes in the same neighborhood. Usually, they're wrong. A real estate agent can provide an update on market conditions, an assessment of the likely selling price of the home and tips for improving the home's buyer appeal. Overpricing a for-sale home is a sure way to deter potential buyers.
4. Buyers will feel intimidated. Potential buyers will spend less time in a for-sale home if the owner is present during the showing, and they'll be shy about discussing its pluses and minuses with their own agent if the owner is within earshot. Buyers will also be less inclined to make an offer if they know they'll be negotiating directly with the seller. Having an agent on each side creates an effective emotional buffer between the seller and buyer.
5. FSBOs are likely to stumble into legal trouble. Real estate transactions are fraught with potential liability for unwary sellers, particularly in states that have extensive disclosure requirements . A FSBO who overlooks even one required form or legally mandated disclosure could face a protracted and expensive buyer lawsuit after the transaction closes.
6. Who is coming into your home. Most FSBO do not know who there bringing into there home. Most Realtors will only bring qualified buyers in to your home after they have pre qualified them, making sure there able to purchase your home.
Look these are only 6 reasons why you should use a Realtor. I could easily give you 20 more but for the sake of this post I'll stop now. I'll leave you with this last question then you decide if you will use a Realtor or not in your next transaction.
If I was able to get you what your looking for, for your home or maybe more, give you professional marketing, handle all the legal documentation needed for the transaction, help you find the right title company, inspectors, and lenders, and put your wants needs and desires above my own why wouldn't you list with me?
Happy Fall everyone.
Author:Bryan McCarte Phone: 214-690-4140 Dated: September 13th 2017 Views: 95 About Bryan: Experience:
• Bryan McCarte Currently has been a Realtor in the DFW Metroplex for close to 5 year...
Trust eXp Realty and our team of real estate agents to help you find homes for sale or to sell your current home. We recognize the level of service that the mobile consumer demands. You have information. You have dreams. We possess experience, integrity, and innovation. Together we create leverage to make your dreams a reality.
There are mountains of resources available that give you a million dif
"Tom Davis is THE BEST realtor! He was in constant contact with me during the entire process. Tom is so knowledgeable, he was able to answer every question and concern that I had immediately. He was very honest and showed me defects of the houses, along with great selling points. Tom always made time to show me each and every house I wanted to see. He then fought for me to get the best deal on my home. I will definitely be sending my friends and relatives to Tom. When it's time for me to upgrade and buy a bigger home I will be giving Tom Davis, the BEST REALTOR a call to help me again!! "